Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Welcome to My Latest Adventure!

Hi everyone!

As you may or may not know, I just moved to NYC for a 3 month internship at Two Twelve, a firm that specializes in wayfinding and information design. I'm too tired to get into the gory details of the move so in brief: my parents and I arrived in New Jersey on December 31 and they helped me move into my new apartment in the East Village. Since then I have been spending my time with my new roommates, my sister, and my uncle eating massive amounts of delicious food and trying to cram all of my stuff into our tiny apartment.

I promise to provide more apartment details and plan on plenty of food posts but for now let's talk work. I started Tuesday but it was a pretty slow day since the whole company had just gotten back from "winter break." Everyone is extremely nice and welcoming and I spent the day shaking hands and combing the company info server to figure out how the company runs. Not a bad first day but the lack of work made it feel very slow. Also, starting at noon I kept waiting for everyone to get up and go to lunch but no on really did. Around one a few people had lunch at their desks but for the most part I didn't really see a whole lot of eating going on. After consulting with my roommates later I came to the conclusion that people in New York do not eat. This seems contradictory to the fact that the restaurants always seem full. Further research needed on this subject. My roommates and I, on the other hand, definitely eat. We went to a great Mediterranean place and then got cupcakes (chocolate sea salted icing is amazeballs by the way).

Today I was given two projects (the details of which may or may not be confidential, I have no idea, but I'm going to air on the side of caution just say one is a poster and one is an app, that shouldn't get me sued right?). Having something productive to do made me remember that I like what I do, a fact that post-European-adventure Amy seemed to have forgotten for a while. Otherwise, it was just nice getting to know my co-workers better and discovering that many of them do in fact eat. One woman even gave me candy. Her name is also Amy which was the first clue that she is awesome. The candy confirmed it. Had tapas with my sister (hithertofor known as "Erin" because that is her name) at a place called Pipa (as in Middleton). We had patatas bravas, asparagus, and octopus and it was awesome!

Bedtime! Will continue to post updates, tales of food, and some design type things. Until then you can use the links to the right to check out my roommate Kendra's blog, my Cinci roommate Michelle's blog, my pinterest, or to catch up on part one of Glamour and Glory in which I eloquently describe my poor sense of direction and love of tomato and cheese sandwiches.

*During my workless Monday I read the entire Two Twelve manual and was informed that I should have a disclaimer for any internet type material that mentions the company so here it is: everything I say about the company ("The Company" makes me think of this awesome show) is purely my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of the company (presumably because companies can't have opinions).

No comments:

Post a Comment