Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everyone is Mean

Yeah Jerkface, who?

Update: My always-wise mother pointed out that the email I included in this post was not that mean. After realizing she was right, I decided to post an update with a definitively meaner email I received yesterday.


Disclaimer: I am a big supporter of people getting paid for things. This post is about basic courtesy not copyright issues.

Last week, while madly messaging Flickr users to request use of their images I exchanged a couple of emails with a guy which eventually ended in this:

Hello Amy,

Thanks for your interesting insights.

The impression I get from your website is that Two Twelve is a serious and professional organization, I don't have to ask you if I right on that. You get paid for your designs too, I suppose. Then why would you ask a photographer to give away his work for free? 

How do you think that an editorial photographer can keep on investing time and energy into making images that work for your business and your clients? Please tell me if you know so I can get rich by doing what I love too! Here is an interesting read about this. I suggest you share this with anyone that likes photography and wants to keep on using the great things photographers do to help your business keep doing what you love to do: http://matthew-oldfield-photography.com/thoughts/can-i-have-your-photos-for-free-part-2/

FYI - if you are planning on distributing content make sure that your organization has all property/model releases figured out. Perhaps you can use material in an editorial way if it fits your project. Even if it is a free app and people allow you to use their material for credit only you have to consider these points. My photos are available under editorial licenses. I hope you can use this to your benefit.

Good luck with your project!
Jerkface*

I decided to respond to this sarcastic condescension with some painfully polite professionalism seasoned with a hint of snark:

Dear Jerkface,

Thank you for your response. Of course I understand your need to be paid for your work. The reason that I contacted you was because I found your work on Flickr, a website with both professional and non-professional work. Many of the non-professional photographers are willing to give permission for their work to be used.  
I am sorry if I offended you. Most of the professional photographers I have contacted have refused in quick, polite messages so I didn't see the harm in asking.
Best,
Amy

I hope he felt the disdain but I don't know because he hasn't responded. I feel like designers are always having the conversation about being paid for our work. I completely respect anyone who says "No I need you to pay me for my work." I expect to be paid for my work. What baffles me are people who are so rude about it. I am contacting you as a member of the same community. I am doing my job. Also you are posting your professional work on Flickr, a website full of vacation snapshots. I'm not saying there isn't good work on Flickr but its not all professional work so you'll have to forgive me for politely messaging you to express interest in using your work. I AM COMPLIMENTING YOUR WORK! JUST SAY "NO THANK YOU" LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE!

My point is this:  Stop being a jerk, everybody!

(Yes I realize that this is sort of pointless ranting. Its been a long day. Leave me alone.)

*Name has been changed for identity protection reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment