Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Family Affair


I've been missing the glory that is Greece!

I know, I know, it's been a while. I'm a terrible blogger and am going straight to blogger hell. Anyway, here is what happened in the last week or so:

1. Two weekends ago, my parents came to visit and my sister and I had a lovely weekend with them. We went to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaurs which I was disproportionately excited about since I am not an archeologist or something. We also went to Chelsea Market for food and checked out some Chelsea galleries. The highlight of weekend would have to be seeing The Lion King on Broadway. It was amazing to see the creative staging and the beautiful costumes. The Lion King was one of my favorite movies growing up (my mom made me an awesome Nala costume for Halloween when I was 4 but I got the chicken pox and only got to wear it around the house) so it was really cool to see it come life. Thanks mom and dad for a wonderful time!


With my dad and sister in Chelsea Market

Some typographic art in a gallery in Chelsea. This should probably be sited
 but I have no idea who the artist is. So instead I'm going to give a
shout-out to Heinz, my awesome professor who taught me all about letterforms
and allowed me to sound smart in front of m family.

My dad's favorite piece of "art" in Chelsea.

The family with some dino bones.

According to the wall plaque this is not a Velociraptor but I have
decided it is because it is my blog and I make the rules.

Simba, you are my son and the one true king...

My geologist parents claim that the dark layer killed the dinosaurs. I think that they
are confusing killer-rocks with the crushed up Oreo layer of an ice cream cake.
2. I've starting going to yoga at a studio near my apartment. It's called Yoga to the People and the classes are on a donation basis which is great since yoga classes in the city cost about $20 per class. Since its so cheap tons of people always show up and they let as may in as possible. Instead of the standard 6-12 inches of space between mats there is about 1-2 inches. Definitely takes some getting used to but its also kind of cool to be with so many people and it forces you to stay really focused. Not usually much for Zen sayings but at the first class I went to, the instructor talked about staying tied to discomfort instead of running away from it which I think is really interesting.

You can't tell, but this guy was literally painting a UFO.
He is awesome. And possibly schizophrenic. 

3. This weekend was a long one (I had Monday off) and Erin and I went to the Catskills with Ansell, Matthew, and our grandmother who is in town for the week. We had a relaxing time sitting by the fire, reading, eating homemade pasta and frittata, and watching My Family and Other Animals (which I definitely recommend because it is British and hilarious). Monday we went to Woodstock to take in the smell of patchouli and the sight of overpriced hippie souvenirs and then Erin and I took the bus back to the city. The others stayed in the mountains for more skiing and lazing. Unfortunately, it seems that their vacation was cut short today when Ansell took a nasty fall on his skis. He is ok and has feeling in his fingers and toes but they think he fractured a vertebra. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Matt and Topper being completely adorable. 
Woodstock. So much tie dye, so little time.

4. As usual I have been trying a lot of great food including cheese and appetizers at the new beer garden in Eataly, Greek food at Kefi, to die for perogies at Veselka, and a great sandwich at 'wichcraft. My only big disappointment so far (knock on wood) has been Spice Cove, an Indian place I ordered in from that was, for lack of a better word, weird. Other than that I am eating like a champion and enjoying every bite!

5. I have started listening to my iPod on the subway. This is significant because if you listen to an iPod on the street/public transportation in Cincinnati you will be marked as an easy target and mugged. For this reason I held out on becoming an iPod listening commuter like everyone else in NYC but I have given in. This is clearly a sign that I should be shipped back to Ohio and exorcised.

6. Another request for good thoughts: my roommate Allie went back to Cincinnati this week to be with her grandmother who is sick. I'm sure her faily would appreciate some positive energy!

Thats all for now. Can't make any promises  but I will try to post more frequently in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment